20070704 - Network Latency
Here is some interesting network latency info.
- (6.8fps) 147ms ping time from California to London (round trip).
- (16fps) 60ms ping time from Chicago to Utah (round trip).
- (4fps) 250ms maximum ping time to most anywhere on internet.
- Maximum tollerance for FPS is 200ms ping (5fps).
- Ideal is 50ms ping (20 fps).
A P2P (peer to peer) game will have 1/2 the latency of the standard server model. No need to send to server and back, players just send directly to other players.
So a P2P network connection from New York to California, should be able to have under a 50ms one way trip (20fps)!